The new Prime Minister has declared the drought a priority. That is good news.
If he is serious he will:
- Bring forward the review of Farm Household Allowance and its application processes.
- Restore the CoAG process his Government dismantled to rejuvenate coordination and collaboration with the States.
- Accept drought cannot be considered an abnormal event but rather, that our climate is changing.
- Make adaptation and resilience-building through better farming methods a key priority.
- Dramatically enhance the extension effort by deploying our agriculture-based Research & Development Corporations to help farmers embrace regenerative farming techniques and the latest innovation.
- Embrace a carbon pollution mitigation policy.
Five years has been lost since the Commonwealth and the States agreed on a new approach based on drought management. Lets now hit the reset button.