This week marks five months since Murray Goulburn triggered the dairy crisis and Barnaby Joyce has not lifted a finger to help. Dairy farming families are still doing it tough.
His record is:
• Concessional loans no one can access.
• Three inquiries which have not reported.
• A symposium which produced no result.
• A slap on the wrist (behind closed doors) for Murray Goulburn.
He could have:
• Put cash into farmers’ pockets by forcing Murray Goulburn to alter its profit sharing mechanism.
• Encouraged and helped farmers to take collective action.
• More vigorously intervened on outrageous “clawback” mechanisms in supply agreements.
Barnaby Joyce is fond of claiming credit for high commodities prices over which he has no control, but when things go south, all we get is “don’t worry about that!”