New data confirms that local councils were big losers in the decision of the Abbott/Turnbull Government to freeze Financial Assistance Grants (FAGs).
Updated figures provided by the Parliamentary Library confirm that over a 4 year period the impacts will be as follows:
• Cessnock City Council = - $2,957,709
• Maitland City Council = - $2,525,321
• Singleton Shire Council = - $1,254,767
• Muswellbrook Shire Council = - $1,437,715
• Mid-Western Regional Council = – $2,408,230
• Upper Hunter Shire Council = - $1,507,416
These cuts to our local councils are severe and will impact on their capacity to provide services and infrastructure in local communities.
THURSDAY, 14th APRIL 2016